31 Jul Facts about August
Continuing the trend of monthly facts, here are your August Facts
- The birthstones for August are the peridot and the sardonyx and the flowers are the gladiolus and poppy.
- August was named in honor of Augustus Caesar. It has 31 days because Augustus wanted as many days as Julius Caesar’s month of July had
- 1774 – British scientist Joseph Priestley re-discovered oxygen (the gas), verifying the discovery of it by German-Swedish chemist Carl Wilhelm Scheele.
- People born in August fall under the sun zodiac signs of Leo and Virgo. Leos are known to be dramatic, creative and outgoing. Virgos have acute attention to detail and are the people most likely to dedicate themselves to serving. They also are loyal, hardworking and analytical.
- Some famous people born in August include Martin Sheen, Dustin Hoffman, Whitney Houston, Kylie Jenner, Chris Hemsworth, Alan Shearer, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert de Niro, Robert Redford, David Walliams, Usain Bolt, James Corden, Sean Connery, Macaulay Culkin, Tony Bennett, Barack Obama, Louis Walsh, Geri Halliwell, Barbara Windsor, Richard Gere and Halle Berry.
- Singer Elvis Presley died on August 16, 1977.
- On Aug. 24th in 79 A.D., the volcano Mount Vesuvius erupted, destroying the city of Pompeii and others.
- Civil rights activist Martin Luther King, Jr.’s famous “I have a dream” speech was delivered on August 28, 1963.
- The average temperature in Harare in August is very mild at 15.5 °C (59.9 °F). Afternoons can be fairly hot with average high temperatures reaching 23.7 °C (74.7 °F). … The weather in August is arid with no rain.
August lies in the heart of the dry season with little to no rain throughout the whole month. This makes it a perfect time to travel to Zimbabwe as the majority of wildlife will gather round the lingering waterholes meaning you’ll get a range of sightings in just one spot. Another benefit of travelling later in the dry season is that temperatures will start to warm up again. Daytime temperatures average around 25-28 degrees making it ideal for relaxing round the pool between game drives.