13 Mar FUN MONDAY : MONTH OF MARCH FACTS
The month of March has been with us for over a week now, so let’s try to get to know it a bit better.
1. March is named after Mars, the Roman god of war as it was the month in which the military campaigning season got under way after winter.
2. In Old English one name for the month of March was “Hlyda” meaning “loud” possibly because of the roaring March winds.
3. March is the only month with three consecutive consonants in its name in English.
4. An old proverb says that “March comes in a like a lion and goes out like a lamb”, which means that winter is ending and spring is beginning.
5. In ancient Rome before Julius Caesar’s calendar reform, March was the first month of the year.
6. The expression “mad as a March hare” dates back to 1529. It refers to the wild behaviour of male hares during the mating season in March.
7. Fredric March twice won an Oscar for Best Actor. Main Street On The March (1941) and March Of The Penguins (2005) also won Oscars.
8. MARCH is an acronym for the Medically Aware and Responsible Citizens of Hyderabad.
9. The birthstone for March is aquamarine and the flowers are the daffodil or violet.
10. The star signs for March are Pisces & Aries.